Formatting Your File
Please check that your file fits the following formatting and field requirements before loading:
- Must be saved as an Excel file.
- Every record must have a Last Name and the record’s ID Number (PID) because they are required fields.
- Scan file for odd characters (such as quotes) and formatting discrepancies (such as different alignments for cells) that may cause problems with the load.
Importing Your File
- To import, click on the Import/Data Entry menu and then select Import.
- In Step 1: Upload File, click the button and select your excel file from your computer.
- In Step 2: Import Type, choose the import type of Append to existing records (ID is required) from the drop-down menu.
- If you would like the data in your import file to overwrite the data already existing for records in Crimson, check off the Overwrite existing data
- If you would like the data in Crimson to take precedence over any new data in your import file and only have the existing data be appended, do not check the Overwrite existing data
- In Step 3: Map Fields, the fields in the first column are the headers from your selected file. The drop-down fields in the second column are fields available in your Crimson database. Use these drop-down options to map fields between your file and Crimson. Make sure you map all of the required fields.
You can save the mapping to use in the future by clicking Save. You can choose Save to Selected Mapping (and select previously saved mapping) or Save to New Mapping (and create a new mapping). Load Mapping allows you to use a previously saved mapping and Delete Mapping allows you to remove a saved mapping.
- Click Validate Now in Step 4: Validate Records. This step validates that all required fields are included and that the file’s format is correct. If successful, a confirmation message will appear informing you how many records were validated and then allow you to go to Step 5: Import.
- To save the validation file before loading, click Output for Review. To load the file, click on Import Now.
- A confirmation message will appear asking, “Are you sure to import now?” Click Yes.
- When the import is complete, in Step 6: Result, you can click Output Results and save the import’s results. If there were any errors in your load, this file will explain the error.
Notes on Mapping: Field Definition
- Record Types:
- I = Individual
- C = Candidate Campaign Committee
- P = Multi-Candidate PAC
- S = State or Local Party Committee
- O = Non Multi-Candidate PAC
- N = National Party Committee
- R = Partnership & LLC
- T = Other
- Street = Main address field, Address 1 & Address 2 = Additional address info (Ste. #, Apt. #, Floor, PO Box, etc.)
- MISC1 – MISC4 = There are several fields available in Crimson that don’t have a dedicated drop-down option in the Columns in Database section. You can map up to 4 of these fields by using the MISC1 – MISC4 field options.
Example: If you would like to map SPOUSE from your file to Crimson, select MISC1 from the middle column. Then, click on the Specify Miscellaneous Column to open the drop-down. Pick the Spouse Name option from the drop-down. Now when the file loads, SPOUSE will be mapped correctly to Spouse Name.