Filing an amendment using CrimsonFiler is very similar to filing a standard FEC report. Follow the instructions below to create and submit your amendment.
Creating an Amendment
1. In CrimsonFiler, click on on the left to access all of your reports.
2. Find the report you’d like to amend from the list, and then click the blue button.
3. A new window will appear asking, “Are you sure to create Amendment?” Click OK.
4. Once you click OK, CrimsonFiler will take you to the main cover page of the amendment. The information from the original report will already be filled. You can now edit as needed.
Preparing the Main/Cover Page
1. Confirm the data already pre-filled from the original report is all correct (i.e. Comm. Name, Comm. ID, Address, Cover Periods, Cycle Periods, etc.)
2. In the STATUS section on the left hand side, enter or confirm the following info:
a. Amendment # will pre-fill (i.e. “1” if it is the first amendment to the given report) in the Amend# Confirm the correct amendment # is listed.
b. Enter the FEC report number of the original report in the Original Report# If you do not have the original report number on hand, you can retrieve it via the FEC’s website.
3. Do not fill in the Report# field (this is auto filled with the FEC confirmation ID once the report is filed).
4. Leave the Filed? field marked as No. If you file electronically, this will automatically update after you upload your report. If you are a Senate candidate and file on paper, you will need to mark this as Filed after you print your report and mail it. Once a report is marked as filed, you can no longer make edits.
Editing the Amendment
1. Once satisfied with the cover page, select the tab you want to edit (i.e. Sched A, Sched B, etc.)
2. Once you’re in the selected tab, you can edit using one of the following options:
- Import from Crimson – Click . Select the Fund Codes (i.e. G2016, P2016, etc.), then press the Import Now button. Select either Append to add this info to the report’s existing data, or Replace to replace the original data. Once the file is imported, you should receive a new window confirming how many records were successfully imported.
- Import – Click on to manually import a file into the report. Follow: Step 1: Upload file, Step 2: Map Fields, Step 3: Validate, and then click Import Now. Select either Append if you want to add this info to the report’s existing data, or Replace if you want to replace the original data. *Make sure that you’ve made any changes in Crimson as well.
- Manually – Click the green button to edit a record or click to add a new record. Once you’ve made the update, click Save Changes.(Note: Make sure you’ve made the change in Crimson as well.)
3. Repeat for any other schedules that need editing (i.e. Sched C, Sched D, etc.).
4. Once finished making edits, click the recalculate button to update the Cash Summary totals.
5. If making Best Efforts updates, click . This import will replace the original employer/occupation data in the report with the current data in Crimson. You will be prompted, “Are you sure to update Employer and Occupation from Crimson now?” Click Yes, then click OK.
Generating and Filing the Amendment
1. Click to see if the report has passed or failed the FEC’s validation.
- If failed, review any errors/warnings received to see what needs to be corrected in the report.
2. Click if you want to preview your report in the standard FEC format.
3. If filing the report on paper, click the Print icon to print the report to send for approval and filing.
4. If you are filing the report electronically, click . Enter your email address in the Email #1 text field and your FEC filing password into the Password field, then click, and the amendment will file directly to the FEC.