**Please note: Merging is irreversible, so do not merge unless you're certain the two records are the same person.
Dupe Check in a People Record
1. After you've completed a People search and opened the record, click the Dupe Checking & Merge button that's located at the top right section of the profile.
2. A Duplicate Checker window will appear with People records that may be duplicates of that record.
3. Click the button for the record you want to review as a possible duplicate and the Merge window will open displaying the record to Keep on the left and the record to Merge on the right.
4. The Merge window presents the two records side by side with a list of fields and types explaining which information will be saved to the single resulting file and which will not. Refer to the types below to understand how each field will be transferred:
- - will carry over if it does not exist
- - will copy over
- - will append/add if it does not exist
- - N/A
If you would like all of the information in the Merge record to be prioritized over that of the Keep record, click the button in the middle of the window. If you would like to move certain information from the Merge record to the Keep record before merging, click the Move button.
5. Click to finalize the merge. A confirmation message will appear asking: “Will make permanent changes. Are you sure to Merge?” Click Yes.
6. After the merge is complete, you will return to the Duplicate Checker window. Repeat the process for all existing duplicate records. When you have finished merging, simply close out of the Duplicate Checker window and you will return to the original profile.
Not a Dupe
If a match is not a duplicate of the record (for example one record is John Smith Sr. and the possible duplicate is actually John Smith Jr.), then use the Not a Dupe checkbox for the record. This will prevent the record from pulling in future Duplicate Reports and Dashboards available throughout Crimson.
Dupe Check Entire Database
Crimson also has several dashboards and detailed reports available for checking possible duplicate records. Visit the Compliance menu Dashboard to see possible duplicate data counts or visit the Reports menu Data Maintenance section to view the Duplicate reports available. For example, run the following report to see a list of possible duplicate individual type donor records:
1. Select the Data Maintenance section under the Reports menu and find report # 104 – Dupe Checker (Individuals). This report uses keyline matches to find a list of all records that could be duplicates based on Address, Home Phone, Email and/or Employer.
2. Place your mouse over the report and click the button to run the report.
3. Click to open or save an Excel file that contains the list of possible duplicates.
4. As you review the list for duplicates, use the Merge tool under the People menu to merge them together.
- Open the People menu and click Merge to open a merge tool window.
- Within the merge window, search for the record you want to keep on the left side and press the Select button once you find it. Repeat this process for the record you wish to merge on the right side of the window.
- Continue with the merge steps listed above under "Dupe Check in People Record".
Repeat this process until you have finished merging all the duplicates you find in the Dupe Check report file. You may want to run the Dupe Check report once more after finishing to confirm that no duplicates remain.