Keywords are useful in organizing your People records and categorizing them in easily searchable groups. Keywords are often used to track coalitions, issues, and to list source and volunteer activities.
Creating and Editing Keywords
- To create a new custom keyword or view existing keywords, click on the Settings option within the People menu, and then click on Keyword from the tabs along the top of the screen. A list of your existing keywords will appear along with the total number.
- To search for certain keywords, type search variables into the Quick Search. The search variables may appear in the Code or Description sections.
- To view and edit a keyword click the button to the left of the keyword you're trying to edit/view.
- To delete a keyword, click the button to the left of the keyword you're trying to delete. A confirmation message will appear asking, "Are you sure to delete?" Click Yes to delete the keyword permanently or No to cancel.
**Please note: You cannot delete a keyword that's currently being used in Crimson. In order to delete any keywords, you'll have to confirm that it is not in use for any records first.
- To create a new keyword, click the button and a new Keyword - Add window will appear.
- Enter a Keyword Code of up to 30 characters that will help you remember its significance (Ex: DOOR TO DOOR or HOST PARTY).
- Enter the full Description for the keyword.
- Click the Save Changes button when you have completed the Code and Description fields. You may click the Close button at any time to exit the Keyword - Add window.
Using Keywords in a People Record
Within a People record, keyword information is indicated by a key icon at the end of the tab listing in the profile viewer pane. If there are keywords attached to the record, a number will appear next to the key, indicating how many keywords there are under the record.
- To view a list of existing keywords, click on the key icon and existing keyword codes will appear in a list. If you hover your mouse over an existing keyword, the keyword’s Description will display.
- To add a keyword to the record, click within the empty space of the keywords' box and a drop-down list will appear with all existing keyword codes. Select the keyword that you want to add and it will automatically be added to the record.
- To add a new keyword to Crimson and the people record on the fly, type the new keyword code in the text box and click the button.
- To delete an existing keyword from the record, click the X to the right of the keyword you wish to delete. A confirmation message will appear asking, "This change will be permanent, are you sure to continue?" Click Yes to delete the keyword from the record or No to keep the keyword.
**Please note: You can also use the Mass Append function to assign flags to multiple people records at once. For more information, please see the Mass Append – Flag, Keyword, Notes, Events and Tasks guide.
Searching with Keywords
When searching for People records, you may search for all records with one or more keywords under the Group section.
You may also use keywords to hide certain records when searching by entering those keywords you wish to exclude under the Suppression section.
**Please note: For more detailed information on searching and using the Suppression functionality, please see Crimson: People Search solution.