Filing a Form 1 amendment using CrimsonFiler is very similar to filing a standard FEC report. If this is the first electronic Form 1 amendment, you’ll need to file it as if it’s a new Statement of Organization because you will not have an Original Report # to reference. The FEC will recognize that this first electronically filed Form 1 is an amendment to the original report that was filed by paper.
Creating an Amendment
- In CrimsonFiler, click on on the left to access all of your reports.
- Find the last filed FEC Form 1 that you’d like to amend and click the button to the left.
- A new window will appear asking, “Are you sure to create Amendment?” Click OK.
- Once you click OK, CrimsonFiler will take you to the main cover page of the Form 1 amendment. The information from the original report will already be copied over. Edit as needed.
Preparing the Amendment
- Confirm the data already pre-filled from the original report is all correct (i.e. Comm. Name, Comm. FEC ID, Address, Custodian/Treasurer, etc.).
- Update or add any new information to the amendment.
- In the Status section on the left hand side, enter or confirm the following info:
- The Amendment # should pre-fill (i.e. “3” if it’s the third Form 1 amendment) in the Amend# Confirm that the correct amendment # is listed. If it’s not correct, manually update the Amend # and click the button.
Please note: You can count the number of Form 1 amendments that were previously filed on the FEC’s website to determine which amendment # should be used next. As long as the Amend# is greater than the last amendment # used, you should be able to electronically file the report.
- The FEC report number of the first electronically filed Form 1 should pre-fill in the Original Report# Confirm that the correct original FEC report number is listed. If it’s not correct, manually update the Original Report# and click the button. If you do not have the original report number on hand, you can retrieve it via the FEC’s website.
- Do not fill in the Report# field (this is auto filled with the FEC confirmation report ID once the report is successfully filed).
- Leave the Filed? field marked as No. If you file electronically, this will automatically update after you upload your report. If you are a Senate candidate and file on paper, you will need to mark this as filed after you print your report and mail it. Once a report is marked as filed, you can no longer make edits.
Generating and Filing the Amendment
- Click to see if the report has passed or failed the FEC’s validation.
- If it failed, review any errors/warnings received to see what needs to be corrected in the report.