Question: Can I undo a merge?
Answer: No. Merging is permanent and irreversible so do not merge records unless you are sure they are the same person.
If a merge was done by mistake, you need to create a new People record and use the adjustment type of Transfer to move gifts back to the correct record. Detailed steps below:
- Create a New People Record for the merged record. See the Crimson 3 - Add a People Record guide for instructions on how to create a new People
- After saving the new/re-created record, the Profile page will open. If you have exited that screen, run a People Search to find and open the new record.
- In the profile, make sure you have selected the Giving History
- Click on “All” gifts to the right of the “Recent Gifts” area in the lower half of the screen.
- Open the first gift to be transferred by clicking on the button to the left of the transaction.
- Click the blue Adjust button and an Adjustment box and Adjustment Date field will appear.
- Select TR – Transfer from the Adjustment drop-down menu.
- Enter an Adjustment Date to reflect the original contribution date by either manually entering the correct date or using the Calendar icon to select it. *Please note: this is the date that will appear on your FEC report.
- Enter the new donor to transfer the contribution to by searching for the ID or First and Last Name in the Donor ID search field and then press .
- Once you find the record, click Select.
- Click Apply to finalize the transfer adjustment.
- Repeat this process for each gift until all that were merged in error have been transferred to the correct record.