Question: How do I apply a chargeback adjustment to a donation?
Answer: A chargeback is applied to a donation when there is a need to reimburse a part or all of a gift made with a debit or credit card. Most chargebacks are necessary when either requested by the donor or when a notification is received from the credit card processing company.
Applying a Chargeback Adjustment to a Donation
- Search for the individual’s record in the People Dashboard using the Search function or search for the gift in the Fundraising Dashboard’s Search.
- Open the contribution in which the chargeback is to be applied to by clicking the button.
- Click Adjust to open an Adjustment box and Adjustment Date field will appear.
- Select CB – Chargeback – Full to issue a chargeback for the full contribution amount or PC – Chargeback – Partial to only issue a partial chargeback from the Adjustment drop-down menu.
- When PC – Chargeback – Partial is chosen, an Amount field will appear for you to enter the partial chargeback amount and an Adjustment Date for you to fill in.
- Click to apply the chargeback to the contribution or to cancel the adjustment.
- The gift is then deducted from the donor’s record. The chargeback will show as a negative on Schedule A on FEC reports.
**Please reference the Contribution Adjustments FAQ on the HelpDesk to determine if the chargeback adjustment is the correct one that should be applied to the contribution.